The Social Action Committee was the first established committee of the Parish and is the avenue by which our Parish has helped those in need in our community and the world.
Our mission is to coordinate programs and donations for alleviating human suffering and outreach targeting to the needy in the Parish community, the Dublin area and Greater Columbus area. We do not conduct fundraisers on our own behalf as we are fully supported by Parish funding. One-hundred percent of all money and donations we collect are distributed to the recipients of our charitable projects.
General meetings are held every other month and Parishioners are welcomed and encouraged to attend (watch the weekly Bulletin for dates). Our goal is to provide service opportunities to Parish families and we welcome your input. We currently conduct over 20 projects per year, with volunteer commitments ranging from weekly to once/year. Specific project and contact information is located in the Parish Committee Contact Listing, in the back of the Guide to Parish Life. Volunteer opportunities are also included in the weekly Bulletin.
In addition, the Social Action Committee accepts donations of canned foods, household goods, and toiletries, at any time, in the Collection Closet, which is located in the coat room of the church. These donations are distributed monthly to local social agencies.
Programs include: Ash Wednesday Food Collection for Mid Ohio Food Bank, Blood Drive, Community Needs, Easter Baskets for Holy Family Soup Kitchen, Giving Trees, Habitat For Humanity, Halloween Candy Collection for JOIN, Holiday Food Collection for DFP, Kairos Prison Ministry, Furniture Bank of Central Ohio, Parishioner Assistance, Pretzel Tutors, Holy Casseroles.
Contact information is available in the back of the Guide to Parish Life for the programs listed below.
- Red Cross Blood Drive – A Red Cross Bloodmobile is hosted at St. Brigid three to four times a year.
- Giving Trees – This annual Christmas event gives parishioners the opportunity to donate gifts and financial support to children and adults in need through nine organizations.
- Project Magi – Each January, a collection of new and gently used winter clothing is gathered and donated to JOIN, The Cathedral and the Holy Family Soup Kitchen.
- School Supplies – Supplies are collected in August and distributed to elementary school students of financially distressed families within the Columbus area.
- Habitat for Humanity – This is a volunteer opportunity to build new homes for Habitat partner families.
- Kairos Prison Ministry – Volunteers provide home-baked cookies and prayers for prison ministry.
- Parishioner Assistance – The Parishioner Assistance Committee was created to offer rides to church and/or medical appointments to our parishioners. This includes those who need rides temporarily or permanently.
- Respect Life Baby Shower – A baby shower is held in October to benefit Pregnancy Decision Health Center and Women’s Care Center. These are two local organizations that are committed to offering help to women in troubling pregnancies to choose life for their unborn child.
- Sandwich Saturday – Volunteers gather on the third Saturday of each month to make sandwiches to be distributed to St. Joseph Cathedral in Columbus, Holy Family Soup Kitchen and St. Lawrence Haven.
- Furniture Bank of Central Ohio – Parishioners are welcome to volunteer in many capacities. Please contact the Furniture Bank to find out how to help at 614-272-9544 or www. furniturebankcoh.org.
- Meals on Wheels – Volunteers deliver meals to individuals at home who are unable to purchase or prepare their own meals.
- Additional Charitable Collection Drives – Social Action Committee also hosts many other charitable collection drives throughout the year. Some of these include the Halloween Candy Collection, Holiday Food Collection, Ash Wednesday Food Collection, Rice Bowl Collection, Easter Basket Collection and Holy Casseroles. To learn more about these drives, contact the Social Action Committee Chair.