As a community of faith, we believe that our children are the most important gifts God has entrusted to us and that the prevention of child abuse begins with each person.
St. Brigid of Kildare Parish, in coordination with the Catholic Diocese of Columbus, is committed to the protection and safety of all children. This commitment follows the fundamental mission of the Church to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, to give authentic witness to the moral teaching of the Scriptures and the tradition of the Church, and to uphold the human dignity of every person. Increased awareness and a willingness to take action are steps for every person to eradicate abuse in our society, in the community, in the neighborhood, and in the family.
At St. Brigid of Kildare Church, “Best Practice” policies have been established to ensure the safety of our children in every parish and school activity. Our Safe Environment Program was designed for the protection of our children. With that in mind, ALL VOLUNTEERS 18 years of age and older (Athletics, Club Sports, Nursery, School, Scouts, Religious Education, Middle School and High School Youth Ministry and all other programs involving children) must complete the following procedures prior to the first day of volunteering:
- Complete a Protecting God’s Children (PGC) awareness session offered throughout the Diocese of Columbus. This program helps raise the awareness of adult volunteers for the signs of child sexual abuse, the methods and means by which offenders commit abuse and steps one can use to prevent child sexual abuse.
- Undergo a Civilian Criminal Background/Fingerprint check (BCI&I) and if needed, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) (see instructions for completing a fingerprinting background check below).
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form which includes the signed Code of Conduct.
- Submit a copy of driver license or photo ID to Stacey Nerone at email@example.com.
Through these initiatives, we optimize child safe environments and empower our staff and volunteers with tools to help them protect all our children.
For individuals wanting to learn more about the prevention of child sexual abuse, please refer to www.virtus.org and sign up for their training bulletins and/or view their continuing education articles.
How to Register for a Protecting God’s Children (PGC) Awareness Session
Registration must be completed online at www.virtus.org. Select “Registration” on the green bar, left side of screen. At the drop down menu, select Diocese of Columbus to view a listing current class offerings, times, and locations. If attendance occurs at a location other than St. Brigid, a Certificate of Attendance must be obtained by you at the end of the session and forwarded to St. Brigid Parish Office to the attention of Stacey Nerone, Safe Environment Coordinator, before compliance can be recorded in our Parish records.
How to Complete a Fingerprinting Background Check
If a volunteer has lived in Ohio for 5 consecutive years, BCI is required. If the volunteer has lived outside of Ohio at any time in the past 5 consecutive years, both BCI and FBI are required.
To complete a fingerprinting/background check:
Go to Fast Fingerprints located at 1486 Bethel Road, Columbus, OH 43220. www.fastfingerprints.com . Cost is $37 for BCI, or $72 for both BCI and FBI. Checks are made payable to Fast Fingerprints. Results will be sent electronically to the Diocese of Columbus and then to St. Brigid of Kildare. Please email Stacey Nerone, Safe Environment Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org so that she can obtain confirmation of your results. The result is typically received in 2 weeks but it can take up to 30 business days. Click here to download the Fast Fingerprints form.
Individuals must provide a valid Ohio driver license and will be asked to provide their social security number.
How to Complete the Volunteer Form & Code of Conduct
Click this link to access the online Volunteer Application Form. This form also includes the Code of Conduct. Once complete, drop a copy off to the parish office along with your driver’s license, or you may scan and email the completed form to Stacey Nerone at email@example.com.
Junior Volunteer Application & Code of Conduct
Click this link to access the junior volunteer application form and code of conduct. This form is for all volunteers under the age of 18 and currently enrolled in 7th through 12th grades. High school graduates and those who will be graduates upon volunteering need to complete the adult volunteer application for adults, attend PGC training, and complete a background check.
Social Media Guidelines
For the protection of our youth, St. Brigid of Kildare has established Social Media Guidelines. These must be read before signing the Code of Conduct.
St. Brigid Volunteer Drivers
Thank you for your willingness to drive youth to various ministry activities. Please make sure you have met the requirements listed below to be compliant with Diocese of Columbus Safe Environment Policies.
To be a driver of youth you must be at least 25 years old and have completed Protecting God’s Children training and have a current BCI background check on file.
In addition to the volunteer application and signed Code of Conduct mentioned above, the following paperwork must be on file at the parish office prior to driving youth:
- Volunteer Driver Form
- Cell Phone Policy signed
- Copy of driver’s license (As you renew your license, please submit a current copy to the parish office)
- Copy of the declaration policy of your auto insurance policy which states your vehicle is insured for the minimum bodily injury and property damage coverage listed on the Volunteer Driver information form. Please note that policies all have a “policy period’ or “renewal date.” Current copies of your policy must always be on file at the parish. If, for example, you pay your premium annually and receive an annual declarations page, you would need to submit this paperwork to the parish office once a year. If you pay your premium quarterly, please submit it 4 times per year.
Forms may be returned to either the parish to the attention of Stacey Nerone, Safe Environment Coordinator. Questions: Please email Stacey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Saint Brigid of Kildare coaches using our facilities and working with St. Brigid youth are required to complete the following training and sign off on the following forms:
- Gymnasium & Performance Stage Usage Policies (please read)
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest & Lindsay’s Law Training – Information for the Coach (please read)
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest & Lindsay’s Law Video (please watch)
- Concussion Training (please email Stacey Nerone email@example.com completion certificate)
- Play Like a Champion Training – Head Coaches only (please register)
- Coaches Code of Conduct (please read and sign)